T2 family (t2.micro,t2.small, t2.medium) is available only for VPC environment.
You may need VPC depending on when you created your account.
- Created an AWS account after Dec 4th 2013:
- Support only EC2-VPC.
- Created an AWS account between March 18th 2013 and Dec 3rd 2013:
- Basically supported only EC2-VPC, but depending on what region you had used, both EC2-Classic and EC2-VPC may be supported.
- Created an AWS account before March 18th 2013:
- For the region you had used before, both EC2-Classic and EC2-VPC are supported. For the first time region, it supported only VPC.
If the T2 family doesn’t show up at the instance type, please check VPC at “VPC Settings”.